Sunday, March 21, 2010

Amber At Hotel 1929

Bamboo Mosaic

My foodie friends and I recently discovered a pretty swanky restaurant, Amber, a modern fusion restaurant of Hotel 1929, tucked in the outskirts of the not-so-swanky Chinatown.

I've never been one for fancy dining, but the night's foray was by no means intimidating. It may have been the company, the wine, the deliberate long pauses between courses as we indulged in conversation and, have I mentioned the wine?

Bamboo clams above, sweet and tender, enough for us four to whet our appetite with.


Healthy & Hearty

First up, the Cesar Salad, a simple dish that often reveals the mettle of an eatery. Fresh, vibrant colors and flavors whose highlight for the guys was no doubt, the bacon. For me, however, never a fan of the hard, salty, oily strips, the Parmesan crisps was my preferred piece on the plate.

Another favourite of ours: foie gras. What's not to love, when it's sliced thick, seared well all around, with its middle still soft, juicy and slightly bloody, paired with sweet orange dressing, flavoursome explosions with every greedy bite.

Seafood Tofu & Pork Belly

Tofu dish was good, light and flavorsome, but pork belly was much more fun dish, served in a test tube for diner's whimsical addition to the already artistic presentation.

Cod In Cream & Lamb Shanks

Fish was a little overcooked, but still went well with the rich cream sauce. I had the lamb, tender and sweet, this was one dish which, in my greedy opition, portion control should not have been exercised.

Cheese For Dessert

We had dessert, but there were only passe compared to the cheese platter. Predictable, since it's me talking. It was a fun meal, one we would gladly do again.

No comments: