Saturday, October 2, 2010

Canberra Eats 1

Pea & Ham Hock Soup

I was living in Canberra for a couple of weeks at start of the year, to better prepare myself for the move from Singapore. I eventually had 2nd thoughts and moved to Sydney instead but that's another post for another day.

So it was autumn back then in April, pretty chilling for a gal from the tropics, so hot soups and stews were in order most of the time. Here's the first one I made which took all of 5 hours to cook, boiling the lentils till they soften and thicken up the broth. The result was a warm, spicy, thick and oh-so-hearty broth perfect for warming your body and soul with as you sit by the fireplace watching QI. Bliss.

Soup With Homemade Bread. Perfect Autumn Night Companion.


When in the country, like in Christchurch, I like visiting the weekend markets. They're a great way to get local, seasonal produce and not-so-seasonal fare like the ones below. Wondering around the weekend markets of Canberra, I can get used to living in the country, I thought.


Ethnic Food Fare

No comments: