Sunday, April 25, 2010

Botanika

Lovely Russian Streets

Dine at Botanika and you'll forget you've gone green. The dishes produced by this street side cafe are top notch; meat cleverly replaced with healthy veg without compromising on presentation or flavor, you won't feel like you're missing out on the real thing.


Pelmini

Traditional Russian dumpling, pelminis look like the Chinese dumplings we have back in Singapore, and in this cabbage filled case, the taste is almost similar. This being Russia, the chewy, juicy little gems are thus served with sour cream on the side, and I *heart* sour cream, which made this dish go down a treat.

Summer Frittata & Lemon Custard Tart

More good eats, their summer frittata is loaded with seasonal root vegs, primarily pumpkin and fragrantly roasted pine nuts. I love this mainly coz it's a monster-ass omelette in disguise. That said, I hereby proclaim, going veg will be no problem for me, so long as I get to enjoy my eggs, cheese and salmon in peace.

And for dessert, their Lemony Custard Tart. In desserts you'll hardly note any difference from the non-veg versions, unless it's made the vegan way i.e. no eggs or butter. No butter?!? *Gasp* The HORROR! Banish that evil thought I say!

Where was I? Oh yes, the tart, so lovely, wobbly and warm, sweet with a bit of lemony twang, served alongside softly whipped cream, oh so good. So very very good.

Almond & Pumpkin Torte

This was a thoughtful dessert, think pumpkin pie, only better. Do away with the boring crust and bring in some roasted almond slices, which made this my preferred dessert of the two.

Cinnamon Surprise

Though I have no literature on the subject, from the looks of the wait staff and kitchen crew, I would fathom a guess that Botanika is run by a group of teenagers. These weren't the expressionless zombies you get at your local fast food chain, mind you. They were a fun-loving, enthusiastic and excitable bunch.

We had gone there for dinner, being the last diners to clear out of the premise, and the chef (or shall I say cook?), a young lad, came out with a plate his latest experiment, and to our greedy delight, offered us some as a parting gift. You can't beat service like that. It helps, of coz, that the chef was kinda cute. :p

Cute Chef

No comments: