Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Zealand: Cooking At Carol's

 Cherries From Carol's

Here's a blast from the past, gastronomic pictorials from a trip my Mum and I took a couple of years ago to Christchurch, visiting my cousin Carol.

In her backyard, a 3-storey tall cherry tree, bombarded daily by pesky birds. We'd net off the tree to deter the feathered opportunists, and pick what we can eat. Better us than them.

New Zealand's Finest

Meals at Carol's were simple affairs. That's not to say they weren't made with attention and care, and often great fuss and fun. Simplicity is subjective. Some days it would be a meat and 3 veg affair, case in point New Zealand sirloin, lamb sausages, homegrown roast tomato salad and baked potatoes. I also cooked my first roast beef there, complete with kamura aka sweet potatoes once again harvested from Carol's backyard. 

Zucchini Cake & Muffins

Pavlova With Fresh Berries & Kiwis

We spent Christmas there that summer. Like Australia, they have summers in December and winters in June, and that's not the only thing they share in common with Down Under. They both claim to have created the pavlova: a heavenly light concoction of airy meringue filled with whipped cream and fresh seasonal fruits. And since it was here in New Zealand I first tasted the pav, they have my vote on this one. So simple, so good. A white Christmas indeed.

No comments: