Saturday, August 2, 2008

All Corns Square and Round - Square 1

Buttermilk cornbread

I am fascinated with cornbread, just as I am with zucchini bread and carrot cake. Basically anything dessert that calls for veggies over fruits.

The first time I tried cornbread at an American restaurant, naturally, I was intrigued. It was a cross between the sweet and savory, a table bread and dessert slice. I loved it. And I tried my hands at making some over the weekend.


Squares of Corn

Adapted from The Cook's Book

* 150g / 5 1/2 oz Plain Flour
* 150g / 5 1/2 oz Cornmeal or Polenta
* 4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
* Pinch of Salt
* 50g / 1 3/4 oz Sugar
* 2 Eggs
* 250ml / 8 1/2 oz Buttermilk or Full Fat Milk (It's Full Fat or Nothing!!)
* 2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, Melted


1. Muffin Method, guys. Sift the dry (flour through sugar).
2. Mix the wet (eggs through melted butter).
3. Combine the twine, but just barely.
4. Tip the goodness into an 8" square or 20cm round
5. Bake at 180 degrees for 20-25mins, or until golden and firm to the touch
6. Serve warm


Cornbread Scones

The final product had a thin and perfect crust speckled with the polenta grains. Buttermilk provided for a moist and slightly tangy interior, textured with the coarse grained polenta. I scaled down the sugar, as always, and let the savory undertone from the polenta and buttermilk do the talking. Good one. next time I may try it with corn kernels for added bite.

No comments: